If I move to another state, do I need to create new estate documents?

 In Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate

While it may not always be necessary to create entirely new estate documents when moving between states, it is always a good idea to review your estate documents with an attorney of the state in which you will begin living. This is because each state has a unique set of probate laws that governs the distribution of state residents’ assets.

When reviewing your estate plan documents, you might find that you have not moved all of your assets with you to the new state. If you die with real property left in another estate titled in your individual name, an ancillary probate may be necessary. This means that two probates may have to occur: one in the state in which you were living when you died, and one in the state in which you used to live where your property still remains.

To avoid the costs and delays of having multiple probate proceedings, you should at least review your estate documents with the experienced and dedicated elder law and estate attorneys of Bach, Jacobs & Byrne, P.A., as we can help you determine if they are valid in Florida and review the titling of all of your assets. Call us at (941) 906-1231 to schedule a consultation.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment