Who has priority in appointment as Personal Representative if a person dies without a Will?

 In Estate Planning, Probate

If the decedent has died “intestate” (without a Will), first-priority goes to the surviving spouse in the appointment of a personal representative. If the spouse is not qualified to serve as personal representative, the person selected by a majority in interest of the persons entitled to the estate takes the second-highest priority. The final option is for the heir of nearest degree to the decedent to be appointed personal representative.

Making a Will and nominating a personal representative are fundamental parts of the estate planning process. The attorneys at Bach, Jacobs & Byrne, P.A. are highly-skilled and experienced elder law and trust & estate attorneys who can assist you with the drafting of your Will and other estate documents. Call us at (941) 906-1231 to schedule a consultation.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment